Segment: Willie Creek Pearls – The Creek
Air Date: 22nd March 2020
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
The Willie Creek Pearl Farm gives its guests an insight into how they produce the best South Sea Cultured Pearls in the world, as well as understand their value and how to care for them.
- The Willie Creek Pearl Farm is a short drive out of Broome.
- For more than 2 decades, visitors have gone to the farm to learn about the process of cultured pearl farming and to see first-hand how the most valuable pearls in the world are produced.
- On the tour you’ll learn about how the oyster gets from shell to showroom.
- To tour starts in the hatchery to learn about the life of the Pinctata Maxima, how they breed and grow them on site to the removal of the pearls.
- One of the experiences is heading out on the boat to the pearl lines and seeing what the oysters look like in their natural environment. The Pearl Master will explain how they care and clean the oysters.
- Once an oyster has been selected and removed from the long line, it is taken back to the gazebo where you’ll learn about the anatomy of the oyster and watch the harvest of the pearl.
- It is a West Australian family owned and operated business and has been around for 30 years.
- This experience isn’t just about the mother of pearl shell and her ocean gem, it’s also very much about the people who grow them and the love and effort that goes into producing the world’s finest.
- To end the tour you get to browse the jewellery in their showroom and there are some amazing pieces with something for everyone both ladies and men.
- After the tour you can sit in the restaurant and enjoy a great meal and a cold beer, where you’ll be able to take in the spectacular landscape, the crystal-clear waters and mangrove lined banks of Willie Creek
- During the dry season tours run 6-8 times a day so it’s important to book ahead.