Story: Red Dog – Pet Friendly Pilbara
Airdate: Ep 7, 25 August, 2019
Presenter: Chrissy Morrissy
Chrissy introduces us to the pet–friendly Pilbara, with a story on their most famous resident – Red Dog.
- You can’t go anywhere in the Pilbara without hearing the story of Red Dog. He is even immortalised in his own movie.
- You can now follow in his paw prints with the self paced Roaming with Red Dog trail. Pick up a map at the Visitors Centre and discover some of his favourite spots.
- The Roaming with Red Dog trail is 10km long and starts from the Red Dog statue at the entrance to Dampier. Follow the grade 2 sign posted self-drive and walking trail around town. At each point of interest, full colour informational signage will help you to discover Dampier’s story, and that of its most famous resident.
- The Pilbara is pet-friendly too, and there are plenty of caravan parks and accommodation options that welcome dogs onsite. Check out places such as:
- Discovery Parks Pilbara, in Karratha,Balmoral, Onslow and Port Headland
- Peedamulla Campground
- Pardoo Station,
- Cheela Plains Station,
- The Cove Holiday Village, Point Samson
- Tom Price Tourist Park.
- While you cannot bring your dog into national parks, that doesn’t mean you have to miss out. You can use Tom Price or Karratha as your base and book your furry friend into doggy day care while you enjoy Karijini and Millstream Chichester National Parks. Be sure to book early as places are in high demand.