Segment: Jetty to Jetty
Presenter: Christina Morrissy
TX Date: 13th January 2019
The Jetty to Jetty trail is a self-guided walking tour that gives you an incredible insight into Broome’s pearling history.
- The Jetty to Jetty app gives you the opportunity to stop at locations through the town and listen to the voices and stories of the people who lived and working there.
- Bart Pigram created the app as he noticed a lot of the pearling stories were starting to disappear with those who lived them. He thought it would be a good idea to record those stories and have them available for tourists visiting Broome.
- The app tells the stories of those who lived in the Broome area – there are stories from the foreshore right through to Chinatown.
- You can download the Jetty to Jetty app onto any smart phone. The app is completely free, and you can use both it and the book to guide you through all of the locations.
- The walk is 3.4km long, running from Streeter’s Jetty to the town beach with 13 stops along the way. Each stop is easy to identify – just look for the tall red markers. The app is easy to navigate and is accompanied by music from local artists.
- It is lucky some of the voices were recorded when they were, as some of the people are no longer with us. If you’re interested in learning even more about the town of Broome, you can pick up the Jetty to Jetty book.
Download the App: