Episode: Destination WA – Our Golden Outback
Title: Kalgoorlie Town Centre; Bush Blossom Gallery & Heart Walk
Broadcast: 20th July 2018
Presenter: Chrissy Morrissy
In the last 12 months something has been happening to Kalgoorlie Town Centre. The local streetscape, public art is taking over the sides of buildings and the fronts of shops, transforming the CBD into a vibrant arts and cultural precinct.
- Paula Fletcher, from Heartwalk Kalgoorlie is the Creative Director for the project. She saw that Kalgoorlie represents its gold rush heritage and its mining heritage very well, but what hasn’t been done, is its indigenous and contemporary art.
- Looking around you begin to realise that some of the artworks have been painted not just by local painters but also by very well-known streetscape artists, such as Stormie Mills.
- The murals form a special public art trail around town called Heartwalk, now in its second year, to see them all should take you around 2 hours.
- Bush Blossom Gallery opened its doors a few years with the intention of encouraging local artists and promoting their talents. Like the street art project, the gallery is helping to create employment in the city and keep the stories of the goldfields alive
- Guest artists such as Catherine Noble and Ash Jangala feature in this episode showcasing their work to keen local art lovers and many of the artists contributing to the Heartwalk itself.
Drive Yourself Wild
0408 511 969