Title: Lake Dumbleyung and Mary’s Cottages
Broadcast: 11th March 2018
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Trevor takes a drive through the bush with Destination WA’s Mitsubishi Pajero Sports to Dumbleyung!
- The name Dumbleyung is a derivative of an Aboriginal name meaning large lake or inland sea.
- Modern history tells the story of the town as a sheep and wheat area. The lake is something to behold, best done at Pussy Cat Hill. The lake hasn’t always been full but rainfall last year has filled it so it is quite spectacular at the moment.
- Locals, Grant and Anne Riley, run Wuddi Cultural Tours. On the tour is a great chance to learn the local history of the Noongar people. They also have a shop in town that has some of the tools used as well as local art works including bark painting.
- Not far from the lake is Cambinata Yabbies, Australias largest exporter of fresh water yabbies’, located in the nearby township of Kukerin.
- At the Yabbie Farm you can learn all about the fresh water crustaceons and see the operation of exporting. It is very impressive but the proof is in the pudding!
- At the end of the tour there is an opportunity for you to enjoy the yabbies’ and try them for yourself. You can stay at Marys Cottages just by the Yabbie Farm and have them delivered to your room or take them home with you.
P: (08) 9483 1111