Title: Kangaroo Walkthrough
Broadcast: September 17th
Presenter: Chrissy Morrissy
There are not many places where you can pat a kangaroo as it eats straight from your hand. Luckily, one of these places is only a 35-minute drive from the Perth CBD.
- Caversham wildlife park is home to some 2000 native animals, including about a hundred kangaroos.
- Chrissy meets up with park manager Debbie to find out more about these kangaroos.
- Debbie explains that some of the kangaroos are born here, while others are rescued as joeys after their mothers have been hit by cars or otherwise killed.
- Here they have the red kangaroo, which is from Northern and central Australia; as well as the western kangaroo which is the local kangaroo here in the south west.
- They also have another type of kangaroo which is unique in its colour…Their white kangaroos are not albino, but actually leucistic, meaning that both parents have to carry the recessive gene that results in the white colouring – something that is only found in captivity.
- The trick at the kangaroo walkthrough is to visit early while they’re at their hungriest, to maximize your chances of them eating straight from your hand.
- If you’ve ever wanted to get up close and personal with one of our most famous animals, this is the place to do it.
Caversham Wildlife Park
P: (08) 9248 1984