Story: Big Barge Art Centre
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Air Date: 3rd January 2021
The Cocos Keeling Islands are home to an incredibly unique and original art gallery, housed in an old restored barge.
- The Big Barge Art Centre was the former ferry connecting West and Home Island. It was purchased by local artist, Emma Washer, who restored it over a 10-year period.
- The centre hosts and sells original artworks made from the flotsam and jetsam that’s washed up on the shores of the Cocos Islands.
- The artworks extend across multiple disciplines, with paintings, photographs, carvings and even jewellery.
- It’s a family-focused venue, with a great space for the kids to play while you take some time to yourself.
- There’s even a movie night that’s held there every fortnight. You can get more information by visiting the Cocos Club.
- The new café is now up and running, providing visitors to the centre with coffee and cake while they take in the view.
For more information, head to