Story: Driving the Sunset Coast
Airdate: Ep 1, 14 July 2019
Presenter: Carmen Braidwood
One of the world’s most famous on-road experiences is a picturesque drive along the west coast of Australia.
- It’s especially unique here as you can watch the sun set slowly into the Indian Ocean, every night of the year. Guess that’s why we call it the Sunset Coast!
- Cooler days can come as a surprise to visitors, but Winter days are perfect for a drive along the coast, stopping off at local favourites.
- Aussie beaches don’t come anymore iconic than Perth’s original surfer’s paradise: Scarborough.
- Home of Perth’s surf culture, it’s been revamped in recent years with a new heated swimming pool, skate park, kids play area, and the best spot in Perth to watch the sunset.
- From October to June why not try out your surfing skills with some surf lessons in Scarborough, what a perfect location to do so.
- Scarborough has a load a great restaurants and bars, making it a top spot for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- To experience the ancient culture of the area, look for walking trails where you can learn about the story of Tjunta, the spirit woman, who used to find young children and return them to their loved ones. There’s also walking trails like this at Lake Gwelup.
- Island Market & Canteen at Trigg Beach are great places to have a bite to eat and a drink while watching the surfers just off shore.
- You can make your way here by car or along the walking/cycle path that connects the Scarborough all the way up to Hilary’s.
- Spend the day inland at Herdsman Lake for the ultimate bird watching in all of Perth.
- Herdsman Lake houses over 100 varieties of birds and a terrific place for a peaceful bike ride or walk at just under 8Ks.
- If shopping is more your direction, you can’t go past a stop at Karrinyup shopping centre, so many choices!
- With events and markets on year-round, the City of Stirling is a great place for a day trip, or maybe a mini-break!
- If looking for a mini break to the area, why not look to stay at the Scarborough Ramada and Rendezvous and while you stay, check out the entertainment at the Lookout Bar and many other dining options available as you watch the sun go down.