Story: Shire of Mundaring
Presenter: Carmen Braidwood
Air Date: 27th December 2020
Carmen showcases the fascinating Railway Reserves Heritage Trail which journeys throughout the stunning Mundaring Hills.
- The Railway Reserves Heritage Trail follows the old railway line that used to go from York to Fremantle.
- There’s plenty of places along it to stop for a meal, including Parkerville Tavern, Mt Helena Tavern, Chidlow Tavern, Mundaring Hotel and Mahogany Creek Inn.
- Sculpture Park is an attraction on the trail. It’s where the Mundaring Railway Station used to be and there are now 9 original artworks there for you to enjoy.
- The trail passes through the picturesque John Forrest National Park, where you can explore Swan View Tunnel.
- Swan View Tunnel was one of the original railway tunnels carved into the landscape by C Y O’Connor and Charles Yelverton in 1895.
- Another nearby attraction is Lake Leschenaultia, Perth’s only public freshwater lake. It’s a great place to go for a picnic, swim, hike or bike ride.
- There’s also camping available at Lake Leschenaultia, making it the perfect spot to break up a walk or ride along the trail.
For more information, head to