Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Air Date: 22nd November 2020
The Cocos Keeling Islands are the perfect place for a tropical island experience without having to leave Australia.
- The Cocos Keeling Islands are a group of 27 islands that form two atolls. There’s a mere 14km2 of land across all of the islands put together.
- Only 2 of the islands are inhabited: West Island and Home Island. When you’ve explored each of these islands, you should begin to look further afield.
- Direction Island is a short ferry ride from West Island. It’s home to Cozzies Beach, which won the title of best beach in Australia in 2017.
- Direction Island has exquisite white sandy beaches, shady shelters, wood-fired barbecues, eco toilets and walking trails.
- It’s always warm in Cocos and the water temperatures are gloriously pleasant. Swimming there is safe and enjoyable.
- There are walking trails through the palm forests and the natural environment is something to behold.
- Direction Island is just one of the many islands that you can enjoy when visiting the Cocos Keeling Islands, all of which have something different to offer.
For more information, head to