Segment: Yagan Square
Air Date: 23rd February 2020
Presenter: Carmen Braidwood
The early months of the year are a great time to pay a visit to Perth city, and Yagan Square is a spot you should absolutely check out.
- Ficus Restaurant is a great place to start your evening out, offering some great alfresco wining and dining, as well as a premium view of the amphitheatre.
- The gorgeous outdoor amphitheatre is where guests can experience Noongar dance and music, with Aboriginal performers sharing stories of our rich culture and history every Friday night – and it’s completely free.
- Inside Market Hall you can find Kevin Bynder, and extraordinary Aboriginal artist. He has a slightly different style of art, with him images showing his life experience from travels around WA.
- To Kevin, Aboriginal art is incredibly important – with rock art having existed for 60,000 years. His artwork gives him an opportunity to share his story, and to share a culture that we shouldn’t lose.
- Market Hall is home to a gastronomic journey of Perth’s multicultural cuisine landscape.
- Horseshoe Lane offers a true street food vibe, with Street Eats and Shy John serving up all of your Asian food cravings.
- A tip for your Yagan Square trip – leave the car at home, and jump on the bus or train, as the Wellington Street bus port and train station are right next door.