Segment: Hobie Cats on the Swan
Episode: Ep 2
Air Date: 16th February 2020
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
There’s no better way to take in Perth’s gorgeous city skyline than from the beautiful Swan River and if you don’t have a boat you’re in luck, you can hire one!
- Funcats is possibly one of Perth’s best-kept secrets and it’s the perfect place to hire your own hobie catamaran, stand up paddleboard or maybe a kayak, allowing you to take in this remarkable city from the water.
- It began in 1976 to educate school students in sailing and has since grown to become one of the states most iconic tourist businesses.
- Sailing a hobie cat is easier than it looks and there’s no experience necessary, even if you’ve never sailed or paddled before. After some basic tuition and demonstration, Funcats’ friendly and experienced staff will have you out on the Swan in no time for a perspective of Perth you won’t get any other way.
- The hobie cats carry up to 4 people, so you don’t have to worry about being out by yourself if you feel uncomfortable or nervous, you can simply relax and take in the sites. While the Swan provides the perfect racing arena for those more experienced sailors.
- Funcats are located on Coode St Jetty in South Perth. It’s an affordable, fun day out for the whole family and there are BBQ’s are available onshore, which are the perfect way to round off your day on the river.
- Keep an eye out while you’re on the water for some wildlife. You may get a visit from the friendly dolphins, or be lucky enough to experience the pelicans or the famous WA black swans.