Story: Cossack Art Awards
Airdate: Ep 7, 25 August, 2019
Presenter: Chrissy Morrissy
Join Chrissy as she discovers the ghost town of Cossack, and enjoys the best fish and chips in the Pilbara.
- Cossack is a hidden gem on the Pilbara coastline, and a great day trip from Karratha, Dampier or Point Samson. This once thriving town is home to the North West’s first and most important port build in 1863.
- Showcasing beautifully restored bluestone buildings and natural surrounds, first head to the lookout to get the lie of the land. On one side you have views of the beach, and on the other the Harding River leads to the town. This is where you can see the Staircase to the Moon three nights a month from March to October.
- If you plan your trip for July/August, you will be here in time for the annual Cossack Art Awards. This pubic exhibition draws hundreds of people each year, and is the richest acquisitive art award in regional Australia, with prizes totalling more than $90,000.
- An artist in residence and public programme offer workshops for adults and children throughout the awards.
- Pick up a heritage trail map from the Karratha Visitors Centre or from the Cossack Café. Follow the trail signage for excellent information about the Cossack community and visit a number of restored buildings. Then follow the trail to the Tsien Tsien and Reader’s Hill lookouts for views of the landscape, coast and across to Jarman Island and lighthouse.
- Bring your own kayak and fishing gear for great fishing opportunities from the shore or just enjoy a stroll along Settlers Beach.
- Port Samson was once a busy pastoral port. Today it is a relaxed and picturesque coastal village famous for its fish and chips and delicious fresh seafood. Take a stroll at sunset or sunrise along the beautiful beaches at John’s Creek and Honeymoon Cove, or have a picnic or BBQ on the grassed areas next to the beach.
- If you enjoy fishing, cast in a line or explore deep-water fishing options.
- If you prefer to stay on dry land, follow the Point Samson Heritage Trail to explore the towns interesting past.