Title: Woody Island
Presenter: Christina Morrissy
Date of Broadcast: 3rd February 19
- The Recherche Archipelago runs approximately 230km from Esperance to the Great Australian Bight and its 105 islands and more than 1000 rocky outcrops are classified as an A class nature reserve.
- Of the 105 islands, Woody island Is the only island you are able to stay on and is a great way to experience this part of the world.
- Woody Island sits 8 Nautical Miles of the coast of Esperance and takes just 30 minutes by boat.
- Woody Island Eco Tours is the official operator of the Islands Facilities and operates the daily ferry service/tour from Esperance.
- On the trip out to the island you are taken on a slight detour along the coast with the hopes of seeing Sea Eagles, New Zealand Fur Seals and even the rare Cape Baron Geese who can be seen in their breeding pairs on the rocks.
- Woody island is 1.5kms long and covers about 240 hectares, the flora on the island is dependant on the depth of the soil on the west, while the barren granite means shorter shrubs and foliage.
- Although you can’t live on the island full time, you can experience life on the island by booking the accommodation on the islands, ranging from basic tents to Safari huts with all bedding supplied, with knock out views. Or you may wish to bring your own camping equipment and stay at campsite.
- There is so much to see and do on Woody Island, why not add it to your bucket list or holiday plans today.