Segment: Mackerel Islands – Exploring under water
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
TX Date: 30th December 2018
Just off the coast of Onslow, the Mackerel Islands are a coast lovers paradise with everything you could ever want right at your fingertips.
- Accommodation options on the Mackerel Islands are fantastic, with beachside chalets, bungalows with 2 double bedrooms, as well as lodging set up for entire families.
- There is a huge amount of top quality table fish swimming just under the jetty, making it an ideal place for the kids to go fishing with handlines.
- The water is warm, with some incredible snorkelling just offshore. The West Australian coral varieties on display have been proven to have no issues with coral bleaching, and have been identified as being more durable and adaptable.
- Just off shore you will find a mesmerising variety of coral on display- the brain corals are fascinating and with plate corals and stag corals in deeper waters it’s worth taking a dive or snorkelling tour out to see them.
- There is prominent fish life here with reef fish darting around with damsels and parrot fish. Bigger fish can be found a bit deeper in, with the golden trevally circling around in huge schools.
- There is nothing better after a day of snorkelling, diving or fishing than a seafood feast. It is a fantastic way to finish off the day, and the Mackerel Islands have a spectacular supply of seafood.
P: +61 8 9184 6444