Episode: Destination WA – Our Golden Outback
Title: Laverton Area
Broadcast: 20th July 2018
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
The Laverton area is more often synonymous in many people’s minds with mining and some people know of the indigenous history too. It's a small town on the edge of the Great Victorian Desert the biggest desert in Australia covering some 350,000km2
- It's the perfect place to base yourself to explore the region and we based ourselves at the Laverton Caravan Park.
- Mt Margaret Aboriginal Community is 30km from Laverton, it was once a mission with a varied history where Aboriginal children were taken after being removed from their family. This stolen generation has left a significant sad legacy with Aboriginal people here today.
- The station was also home to some famous faces. RM Williams built a huge water tank here when he visited and lived in the region and the mounts namesake Margaret who was a Hammersley was actually the wife of John Forrest WA’s first premier who met her here.
- The Healing Pool, the waters here are hypersaline, and this is possibly the first time anyone has ever seen this place, the waters are known to have very special healing powers.
- People have been coming here for generations, however you need to get the right permissions.
Drive Yourself Wild
0408 511 969