Title: Willie Creek Pearls Broome
Broadcast: 11th March 2018
Presenter: Trevor Cochrane
Broome is home to some incredible pearls. The Australian South Sea Pearl grows off this water like nowhere else in the world. If you want to learn a little bit more about this sustainable gem from the sea at Willie Creek Pearls in Broome.
- Willie Creek Pearls is a modern day cultured pearl farm that opens up to tourist and showcases what it takes first hand to operate a pearl farm.
- Tiara Lawford is a local and a tour guide at Willie Creek Pearl Farm. Tiara tells Trevor about the sustainability processes and the science behind farming pearls. Marine technicians study up to 10 years and go through a very extensive process before they are able to harvest the oysters and pearl.
- You can also take a flight over the pearl farm which gives a great perspective on the infrastructure used as well as the beautiful landscape. You can see salt flats, fishing platforms, nets in the water and crocs.
- In Broome you can visit Pearl Luggers you can also taste the pearl meat.
- You can also take a walk around the museum to learn what the pearlers went through at the beginning of the industry. It is a great way to learn about the history of Broome.
P: 9192 0000
P: (08) 9483 1111